Distribution & Display of Community Information Materials Policy
As a service to the public, Cuyahoga County Public Library (CCPL) maintains designated areas in its branches for the passive distribution of community information materials presented by non-commercial groups located in Cuyahoga County.
The CCPL Communications and External Relations Division is responsible for the administration of this policy on a system-wide basis. CCPL branch managers are responsible for the administration of this policy within their facility.
The distribution and display of community information materials does not constitute endorsement of the materials' content by CCPL.
- The primary function of display areas at CCPL is to promote the Library’s resources and programs. Consequently, priority will be given to: a) Library programs, events, and services; b) Friends of the Library groups; c) Units of government.
- All materials posted or distributed must comply with this and all other applicable CCPL policies.
- Non-library organizations who wish to distribute or display community information materials at multiple CCPL locations must receive authorization from the Communications and External Relations Division prior to delivering materials. To receive authorization, an individual representing the non-library organization must submit a distribution request application through the CCPL website. Materials and applications submitted in any other manner will be discarded.
- Organizations that wish to distribute community information materials at an individual branch location must contact the branch manager or their designee.
- Community information materials may be removed from the designated area when space is limited at the discretion of the branch manager or their designee.
- The quantity of materials displayed or distributed at branch locations is at the discretion of the branch manager.
- All distribution will be handled by Cuyahoga County Public Library staff. Individuals shall not post or leave materials in the distribution area. Unauthorized materials will be discarded.
B. Permitted materials
The following materials may be permitted for distribution and display as space permits:
- Dated materials that publicize community events of a civic, cultural, recreational, or educational nature that are open to everyone and presented by non-commercial groups located in Cuyahoga County.
- Information of general public interest provided by governmental agencies with jurisdiction in Cuyahoga County.
- Local news publications that include substantially more news, information, and editorial content than paid advertisements.
- Information about nonprofit, educational, religious, and community groups. These materials are non-returnable and will be discarded after they are no longer useful or at the discretion of the branch manager.
- Nonpartisan election information, such as voter guides.
- Job postings provided by CCPL partner organizations.
C. Prohibited materials
The following materials will not be accepted:
- Posters or flyers larger than 11 inches by 17 inches.
- Commercial advertising, personal or group sales materials, business cards or any materials printed primarily for the purposes of soliciting members or donations.
- Campaign literature for or against a political candidate or ballot issue.
- Signs posted on entrance doors.
Adopted by the Cuyahoga County Public Library Board of Trustees on October 24, 2023.
Place a request
To request approval to distribute or display materials at an individual branch location, the requester may contact the branch manager directly.
To request approval to distribute or display materials at multiple CCPL locations, the requester must submit an online application available on the CCPL website.
- Once the application has been submitted, the Communications and External Relations Division will review and notify the requester of the status of the request.
- Approved requests must be bundled and delivered to the Shipping Department located at CCPL’s administrative offices. Materials may be delivered Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The requester must attach a printed copy of the approval email to your materials before delivering them.
- Materials that are delivered without prior approval, are not securely bundled, or do not comply with this policy will be discarded.
- Allow 1 week for distribution of materials.
Don't have a CCPL card? Apply online.