Code of Conduct
Welcome to Cuyahoga County Public Library. Mutual respect makes it possible for everyone to enjoy Library materials and services. We appreciate your cooperation in contributing to a welcoming environment for all. This Code of Conduct is for the comfort, safety and protection of all Library customers and staff.
We do not permit conduct that disturbs, threatens or interferes with any person’s use of the Library or safety, such as:
- Disruptive behavior, noise or loud talking
- Viewing websites that are inappropriate in a public setting (see Internet Policy)
- Sleeping on the premises
- Solicitation or panhandling
- Blocking access to entrances, exits and/or materials
- Overcrowding at small tables or in seating areas
- Smoking, vaping, alcohol consumption or tobacco usage on premises
- The use of assistance animals that do not meet the definition provided by the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Photography and/or video recording of staff and/or customers without their permission
- Fighting and/or using abusive, profane, harassing, or threatening language or conduct
- Carrying or handling weapons of any kind
- Stealing, destroying or vandalizing Library facilities or property
- Violating local ordinances, state and/or federal law
- Violating Library policies and/or guidelines
The Library must prioritize public health and safety.
We reserve the right to ban customers when there is evidence of a public health risk and/or pests. Customers must be fully clothed, which we define as including (but not limited to) a shirt and shoes, when in Library facilities. Library materials may not be taken into the public restrooms.
Please recognize that the Library is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Customers may not leave personal belongings unattended.
Library staff cannot act in place of parents or caregivers
Young children and vulnerable customers cannot be left unattended, even when caregivers are in other areas of the building. Customers of all ages are permitted to use Library computers to access the Internet, and any restrictions of a child's access to the Internet are the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian (see Internet Policy).
Enjoy food responsibly
Food is permitted; however restrictions may be necessary for everyone to enjoy their time at the Library. Please remember to discard or recycle cans, bottles and wrappers before you leave, and tidy up your area so the next customer to visit will find a clean space.
Discrimination and/or mistreatment of any person due to race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, or socioeconomic status is unacceptable. We reserve the right to restrict the use of Library facilities, premises and privileges when visitors do not abide by the Code of Conduct. Failure to comply with a reasonable staff request may result in removal from Library premises, a ban from Library facilities, the suspension of Library privileges, and/or arrest and prosecution.
Adopted by the Cuyahoga County Public Library Board of Trustees on February 28, 2017, revised February 28, 2023.