Rules of Conduct
Mutual respect makes it possible for everyone to enjoy library materials and services. We appreciate your cooperation in contributing to a welcoming environment for all. This Code of Conduct is for the comfort, safety and protection of all Library customers and staff.
We do not permit conduct that disturbs others or interferes with any person’s comfort or safety, such as:
- Disruptive behavior, noise or loud talking
- Disruptive use of cell phones (please use cell phones in designated areas)
- Viewing websites that are inappropriate in a public setting (see Internet Policy)
- Sleeping on the premises
- Solicitation or panhandling of Library staff and/or customers
- Blocking access to entrances, exits and/or materials
- Overcrowding at small tables or in seating areas
- Smoking, alcohol consumption or tobacco usage on premises
- The use of assistance animals that do not meet the definition provided by the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Photography and/or video recording of staff and/or customers without their permission
- Fighting and/or using abusive, profane, harassing, or threatening language
- Stealing, destroying, soiling, or vandalizing library facilities or property
- Violating local ordinances, state, and/or federal law
- Violating Library policies and/or guidelines
- Carrying or handling weapons of any kind
The Library must prioritize public health and safety.
The Library reserves the right to ban customers when there is evidence of a public health risk and/or pests. Customers shall maintain a generally acceptable standard of personal hygiene. Health or hygiene conditions that constitute a nuisance, such as strong or offensive body odor, are considered unacceptable. Customers must wear a shirt and shoes at all times. We also must insist that customers do not take Library materials into the restroom.
Please recognize that the Library is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
We recommend that customers do not leave personal belongings unattended.
Library staff cannot act in place of parents or caregivers.
Young children and vulnerable customers are not to be left unattended in Library facilities, even when caregivers are in other areas of the building. Customers of all ages are permitted to use library computers to access the Internet, and any restrictions of a child's access to the Internet are the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian (see Internet Policy).
Enjoy snacks responsibly.
Light snacks and covered beverages, such as those offered in library vending machines, are permitted in our branches. Please remember to discard or recycle cans, bottles and wrappers before you leave and tidy your area so the next customer to visit will find a clean space.
We want everyone to enjoy their time at the Library. We reserve the right to restrict the use of Library facilities, premises and privileges to those who do not abide by the Code of Conduct. Failure to comply with a reasonable staff request may result in removal from Library premises, a ban from Library facilities, the suspension of Library privileges, and/or arrest and prosecution.
Adopted by the Cuyahoga County Public Library Board of Trustees on February 28, 2017.